Check Engine Light
Check Engine Light Service in Surprise & Goodyear AZ
When that Check Engine Light comes on, it is time to take action. This is your vehicle’s warning indicator that there may be a problem! While there are several reasons a Check Engine Light may come on, having an experienced Auto Repair shop properly diagnose the issue is always recommended. At Champs Family Automotive in Surprise and Goodyear, AZ, our ASE Certified Technicians have the knowledge and experience to diagnose the reason your vehicle your Check Engine Light has come on. Both of our locations use state-of-the-art equipment to ensure we get you back on the road as quickly as possible!
Common Questions About Our Process To Diagnosis & Fix Your Vehicle When The Check Engine Light Comes On
What is a “Diagnostic”?
Why should I pay for Diagnostics when the part store will diagnose my vehicle for free, isn’t it the same thing?
Now keep in mind the part stores are not following up with these customers to see if the said part purchased actually fixed the code/problem. It’s a shot in the dark and a gamble with your hard-earned money. You could get lucky on a DIY solution or you could be spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a repair that if you have properly diagnosed may of cost you a fraction of what you actually spent. A proper diagnostic is the key to a confirmed repair. Putting it plainly, a diagnostic is information gathering on what is wrong with the vehicle, so you know what repairs you need to do verses guessing at what repairs need to be done.
Any time you call either of our Champs Family Automotive locations and schedule an appointment, please keep in mind, for general services or repairs we do not charge diagnostic fees. The most common situation where a diagnostic charge may apply is if you’re experiencing for instance: drivability problems, a check engine light is on, you have a random noise you here or intermittent problem that takes time for us to diagnose and determine what the problem is. Now there are other times diagnostic charges may come into play, but you will ALWAYS be asked to approve diagnostic time charges prior to us doing the work. We will NEVER EVER apply diagnostic charges to your bill without your prior permission and authorization.
Isn’t Diagnostics just hooking my car up to a computer?
- First of all, the “computer” that people are generally referring to is a scanner. This scanner is connected to your vehicle yes, but the scanner will provide our Technicians with codes that are in your vehicle computer memory.
- Each code is related to a specific system in your vehicle i.e. brake system, emissions system, transmission control system or one of many other systems.
- After determining which system(s) are causing the code(S), we then perform a visual inspection of the system(s) in question to look for obvious problems such as rats’ nest, lose or cut wires etc…
- If we don’t see any visual problems with your system, we then take time to locate and read your vehicles manufacturers trouble tree or as we call it Flow chart.
- After reviewing the flow chart our Technician begins to perform the necessary testing on the flow chart with the necessary tools and equipment i.e. DVOM, Lab scope, pressure gauges or whatever the particular test requires. Keep in mind our Technician(s) have all the necessary equipment to run these tests. Our Technician(s) have the knowledge and know how to accurately and efficiently use each tool and how to read test results.
- Then after testing our Technician(s) have to compare their test findings to flow charts to determine the next best course of action. Sometimes this can be a very lengthy and multistage process.
- At this point our Technician(s) have narrowed down what part or parts need to be replaced and why. Further testing may be required because the problem is very in depth and requires much more extensive system checks to determine the root of the problem.
As you can see there is A LOT involved when it comes to our Diagnostic time. We hope clears things for our customers. You can have all the tools in the world but if you haven’t invested the time into learning how to use the tools, what to look for and how to accurately diagnose a problem than your tools are irrelevant. You are paying for our Technicians expertise, the time and commitment they have spent years, even decades learning and perfecting. Knowledge is everything, just like a Doctor, we pay them for their skill and knowledge not necessarily the tools they use to get the right answers.
Why do I need to have my vehicle diagnosed, can’t you just tell me what’s wrong with it without charging me a diagnostic charge?
I went to another shop and they said they couldn’t diagnose my vehicle because they didn’t have the correct computer for my vehicle, do you have the computer to test my vehicle?
If a shop tells you, “we don’t have the computer for your vehicle”, most of the time that means they lack the knowledge and/or expertise to properly diagnose your vehicle. At Champs Family Automotive we continue to invest in our crew and equipment. We work diligently to properly diagnose all your vehicle questions and concerns. We have access to most software and are absolutely positive we can properly diagnose any problems your vehicle or RV may be having.